Yes, even I have trouble staying motivated at times. It’s very easy to just ‘fall off the wagon’ and get back into our bad habits. It’s always easier to do nothing but sit around watching TV or to order out or make a meal from a box. It’s just easier…and that’s why we go back to it.
So what can we do to make it worth it to stay motivated? Here are some ways to help you get started or get back on track. Remember, sometimes all you need to do is take baby steps…
1. Set a goal. Just one goal. Set a deadline for that goal and when you achieve it, set another…remember, I said baby steps. By setting a goal, you know in your head what it is that you want. You should put it down on paper and read it daily and maybe even a couple times a day. Eventually it will be a part of you and all you will be able to think about is achieving that goal!
2. Set a Reward. How do you want to reward yourself when you reach that goal? A new dress? A new hairstyle or some new jewelry? Whatever it may be, make sure its something special, not something you do for yourself all the time.
3. Find a “workout buddy”. Do you have a friend that lacks motivation as well? Get together and plan times during the week to workout or help each other plan meals for the week ahead. Knowing that if you don’t meet your friend, you will let them down is a great way to stay motivated!
4. Don’t give up. If you feel your self slipping or you do slip, don’t have the ‘all or nothing’ attitude. Just because you had a piece of chocolate cake after you promised yourself you wouldn’t is no reason to eat the whole cake! Move on…promise yourself you will do better tomorrow.
5. Always be positive! If you didn’t reach your specific goal that you set, look at what other accomplishments you have made in that time period. There is always something that you can find that was positive about what you have done, so think about that and not about what you didn’t do.
Have some tips of your own that keep you motivated? Please share with us!