Are You Ready to GET STARTED?
Getting started is often the most difficult part. Taking the steps to lose weight, tone your body, build muscle or just feel healthy is usually the hardest and most important. So, if you ARE here, then you have made the first step and now its time for us to walk you through the steps you will need to figure your plan for health and fitness success!
These first 5 steps are very important in helping you to achieve your goals! Make sure to incorporate them into your goal setting.
1. Buy yourself a journal or notebook. You will want to write EVERYTHING down! It’s a great way to remember what exactly you are doing and also to see changes.
2. Set a specific goal! Do you want to go down 2 pants sizes? Lose 10% BF? Lose 10 lbs? Build up muscle? Write it down!
3. Write down all your current measurements. Weight, waist size, hip size, thighs, etc.
4. Take pictures. You will want to look back and see where you started and how awesome you look 3, 6, 9 months from now!
5. Develop a plan of action. Plan your workouts and your meals and act on them consistently. If they are planned, you are more likely to follow through with them.
Stay with your current plan for at least 12 weeks, even if you are not seeing any changes. Believe me, they are not going to happen overnight, and the more patient you are, the happier you will be in the end!
Which Body Type Are You?
a. Endomorph: The endomorph body type is solid and generally soft. Endomorphs gain fat very easily. Endo’s are usually of a shorter build with thick arms and legs. Muscles are strong, especially the upper legs. Endomorphs find they are naturally strong in leg exercises like the squat.
b. Mesoporph: A mesomorph has a large bone structure, large muscles and a naturally athletic physique. Mesomorphs are the best body type for bodybuilding. They find it quite easy to gain and lose weight. They are naturally strong which is the perfect platform for building muscle.
c. Ectomorph: An ectomorph is a typical skinny guy. Ecto’s have a light build with small joints and lean muscle. Usually ectomorph’s have long thin limbs with stringy muscles. Shoulders tend to be thin with little width.
1.Omron Body Fat Analyzer They are extremely easy to use and help you keep track of your BF %, if this is one of your goals. We use them every week to make sure our BF is going the right direction.
2. Heart Rate Monitor – Another tool we absolutely love is our heart rate monitors. This will help you determine how hard you are working besides listening to your body while working out. It is fun to see how many calories you burn doing each workout.
3. Online Body Fat Calculator – Keep in mind this isn’t as accurate as using the Omron or some other body fat caliper, but does give you a rough estimate.
4. Fit Bit – Measures steps, calories and sleep.
How to Determine your caloric needs:
This will help you determine how many calories you should eat daily.
*Fat loss= multiply your body weight by 12-13 = your calories
*Maintenance (TDEE)= multiply your body weight by 15-16 = your calories
*Weight gain= multiply your body weight by 18-20 = your calories
This is a basic way of finding a calorie range. It does not take into account the amount of calories you are burning with your workouts. The Burn the Fat book goes into more detail and you can get an exact formula.
You must drink plenty of water!
When I say plenty of water I don’t mean 8- 8oz glasses of water! I mean 80-100 oz. of water everyday especially if you are doing lots of cardio. Being dehydrated can and will mess with your metabolism. Water is such a simple thing and yet most of us have the most trouble getting enough down everyday.
Start tracking your meals and calories.
The very best thing you can do is track your calories. Start out by tracking what you normally eat for a week or so to see just exactly all the foods that your are putting in your body. Then when you have figured out what calorie range you need to eat, you will want to enter foods to stay wihin that range. Two free meal trackers are sparkspeople.com and myfitnesspal.com.
Don’t cheat yourself, you must enter everything. Even that nibble of your kids’ sandwich. In the long run you will be happy you did. Most people find that when they have to be accountable for every little bite, they are more likely not to have it!
Pay attention to the labels.
When you are in the grocery store do most of your shopping on the outside of the store, where the foods with little to no preservatives are. Of course, you will need to go into the isles to grab your canned foods and spices. But the more you follow this rule the more you will notice how many chemicals are put into our food.
Eat foods closest to their natural state.
It may be very hard to understand this at first, but you will get the hang of it quickly. For instance, oatmeal is close to its natural state, but wheat thins are NOT! Whole grain does not always mean healthy, so it is very important to read those labels. Another very good rule of thumb is if you cannot pronounce it, don’t eat it! It is most often chemicals that are very hard for your body to digest. Sugar is very processed, so is splenda. Your best choice for sweetener is stevia. It is a very sweet herb, you only need a tiny bit to sweeten your oatmeal or coffee. The creamers that are premixed and flavored are full of chemicals also, so beware. Half & half does have more fat, but worth the extra fat for its non-chemical state.
Start eating 5-6 times a day.
This may be hard at first, especially if you are only used to eating 2-3 meals. But your body adjusts pretty quick. Small meals every 2-3 hours is the best way to eat. This way your body is getting just enough to use for energy and wont be storing the extra calories from a big meal as fat. At every meal, have a protein, healthy carbs and good fats.
You need to incorporate a good exercise plan that includes cardiovascular and strength training.
2. Treadmill/ Outside
4. Classes –Kickboxing, Zumba
6. Spin class
7. Body Weight Circuits
Weight/Strength training workouts:
Change up your workouts every 8-12 weeks.
This is the best way to keep your workouts from getting boring and making you less likely to keep up with them. It also helps to make sure that your body does not adapt to the same thing and gives you a better chance of reaching your goals!
Check out our FREE EXERCISES page!
1. Multi-vitamin – Multivitamins are one of the best investments one can make in supplementing their exercise and diet. Essentially, multivitamins encourage efficiency in your body for all of its various functions.
2. Fish Oil – helps aid in cardiovascular and also with joints
3. Coconut Oil – aid in weight loss, increased metabolism, increased energy levels.
4. Natural Protein Powder -Great way to add protein without the artificial sweeteners!
**You may order any of these products or anything else from bodybuilding.com. I highly recommend them for their great prices and super fast shipping!